Seattle Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Medical malpractice refers to the negligence of a medical professional, resulting in injury to a patient. Medical malpractice is a serious wrongdoing that can have catastrophic effects on patients. When a physician fails to exercise a reasonable standard of care, serious and fatal injuries and illnesses can occur. If you or someone you love has been the victim of medical malpractice in the city of Seattle, we can help. Contact us today to discuss your case with a Seattle medical malpractice attorney from Washington Injury Law.
Why Choose Washington Injury Law?
- You will have zero out-of-pocket costs when you hire our firm. We advance all up-front costs of your case and work on a contingency fee agreement. You will only pay if we win – and then, you will pay from your settlement or verdict, not your wallet.
- You will always come first. Our experienced Seattle personal injury attorneys put our clients first in everything they do. We will work closely with you to understand how the medical malpractice impacted your life, and what your goals are for the future. Then, we will create a custom legal strategy.
- You will not have to worry about anything. We aim to make hiring an attorney as simple as possible. Our firm offers free initial consultations at our Seattle office. We want you to have peace of mind while we take care of your medical malpractice claim.
Why Do You Need a Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Seattle?
Medical malpractice claims are complex and difficult to navigate for plaintiffs or the injured party. Many states make it notoriously hard to win medical malpractice claims to protect their doctors and hospitals. Hiring a lawyer is an important step if you wish to not only win your case but to obtain a fair and full amount for your damages. Your Seattle medical malpractice lawyer will know how to navigate state laws, file a claim within the deadline, and fight for fair recovery on your behalf.
Types of Medical Malpractice
Any action or omission that doesn’t meet the physician’s duty of care to a patient may constitute medical malpractice if it injures or kills a patient. Medical malpractice can include the failures of an individual medical practitioner or the facility itself.
- Failure to diagnose
- Prescription errors
- Surgical and anesthesia mistakes
- Birth injuries
- Failure to treat
- Lack of approved consent
- Lack of proper hospital sanitation
- Malfunctioning medical equipment
- Emergency room errors
To identify medical malpractice, you must first have an understanding of the duties of care a physician and healthcare center owed you or a loved one in a particular situation. The duties of care in an emergency room, for example, will differ from a birthing center. Speaking to an attorney can help you determine whether your situation qualifies as medical malpractice.
Washington Medical Malpractice Laws
You generally have three years from the date of your injury to file a medical malpractice claim in the state of Washington. If you discover your injury after the date on which it occurred, you have one year from the date of discovery to bring your civil action. Missing your deadline usually means the courts will refuse to hear your case. In Washington, a medical malpractice case must go through mediation, according to its 1993 mandatory mediation program rule. However, plaintiffs do not need medical experts to testify, or affidavits of merit.
Who Is Liable for Medical Malpractice in Seattle ?
The party liable, or legally responsible, for your injuries and damages in a medical malpractice lawsuit, will depend on who or what caused the harm. If an independently contracted physician caused your damages, you may have a claim against the individual, but not the healthcare center. If, however, an employee is at fault, the hospital may have vicarious liability. A doctor, nurse, surgeon, physical therapist, hospital, or specialty center may be liable to pay for your medical bills and other losses if you win your medical malpractice claim.
Contact Our Seattle Medical Malpractice Lawyers Today
The Seattle medical malpractice lawyers at Washington Injury Law can investigate your case and help you identify the appropriate defendant to name in your official claim. We have the experience you need for a strong case in Seattle. Send us a message or call (206) 960-4522 to speak to a medical malpractice lawyer in Seattle about your injuries today.