Seattle Brachial Plexus Birth Injuries Lawyer
While the majority of births in the United States are successful and healthy, injuries and errors still occur. Doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals can commit grievous mistakes that lead to lifelong complications for a child. One of the most devastating birth injuries is brachial plexus injury.
If your child suffered a brachial plexus injury, you could recover damages for medical expenses, loss of earning ability, and more with a birth injury lawsuit. If you need a Seattle Brachial Plexus birth injuries attorney, contact Washington Injury Law for a free consultation.
- We understand that legal services can be expensive. Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis – you don’t pay any legal fees unless we secure a settlement on your behalf.
- Our lead Seattle personal injury attorney, Janelle Bailey, has a scientific background and has a deeper understanding of personal injury than other attorneys. She can provide insight into your injuries as well as consult with medical experts.
- Our firm values open, honest communication and the attorney-client relationship. You will always be able to speak with an attorney, not an assistant.
What Are Brachial Plexus Birth Injuries?
The brachial plexus is the network of nerves that span your neck and shoulders. These nerves are responsible for controlling feeling in the upper limbs, as well as muscle control in the arms, hands, chest, and shoulders. An injury to the brachial plexus can occur when a medical professional stretches, compresses or tears these nerves during delivery. Many types of brachial plexus injuries can occur, ranging in severity.
- Stretch injuries are common and the baby usually recovers on his or her own within three months.
- Rupture injuries occur outside the spinal cord and may require surgical repair.
- Avulsion occurs when the brachial plexus nerves tear from the spinal cord, leading to breathing difficulties, paralysis, and the need for surgical nerve transfer.
- The neuroma occurs when the brachial plexus attempts to heal, but the scar tissue interferes with nerve function.
- Erb’s palsy involves the upper brachial plexus and causes weakness in the shoulder and biceps, which can lead to stiffness and atrophy.
- Total plexus involvement occurs when all nerves of the brachial plexus suffer injury. This injury can lead to total paralysis in the arm, hand, or shoulder.
- Homer’s syndrome occurs with an avulsion and can lead to drooping eyelids, smaller pupils, and diminished sweat production in an area of the face.
What Damages Can You Recover From a Brachial Plexus Injury Lawsuit?
A brachial plexus injury can lead to lifelong complications for a child. As a result, the family must invest in frequent medical care, mobility equipment, home accommodations, caretakers, and many other costs that can lead to thousands of dollars in expenses. The child may suffer noneconomic damages as well, such as a loss of quality of life and a loss of earning potential.
Through a lawsuit with a Seattle Brachial Plexus birth injury attorney, you can claim both economic and noneconomic damages for your child, such as past and future medical expenses, disability, mental and physical pain, and suffering.
What Can a Seattle Brachial Plexus Birth Injury Attorney Do for You?
If your child suffers from a brachial plexus injury due to medical malpractice in the delivery room, a Brachial Plexus birth injuries lawyer in Seattle can facilitate the claims process so you can focus on your child, not paperwork.
In addition, your lawyer will have access to resources and medical experts to conduct a thorough investigation into your child’s injury and develop a strong case for your child’s compensation. Your Seattle brachial plexus birth injuries attorney can even connect you with health care experts to help you calculate the cost of your child’s future medical care.
If your child suffered a brachial plexus injury due to the negligence of others, you may be eligible for financial compensation through a medical malpractice lawsuit. Contact Washington Injury Law today to discuss your legal options and begin the claims process.