Do You Need a License to Operate a Motorized Scooter?

Mopeds and motorized scooters are all over the place throughout the state of Washington, particularly in and around larger cities. Even though these two types of vehicles are not the same thing, even though most people think they are. However, the state of Washington has different requirements for licensing when it comes to operating mopeds and scooters.

What’s the Difference Between the Two

We need to first define what a moped is so we can differentiate this from a motorized scooter. Mopeds can have two or three wheels, but they have an engine that is smaller than 50 cubic centimeters, and it cannot go faster than 30 mph. The vehicle cannot have more than two brake horsepower. Individuals who operate mopeds that meet these requirements do not need a special license to ride.

Licensing for a Motorized Scooter

If a person has a motorized scooter with two or three wheels with an engine 50 cubic centimeters or larger and goes faster than 30 mph, this will be considered a motorized scooter, and there are specific licensing requirements for these vehicles.

Depending on the size of the vehicle, an individual may need different types of endorsements to operate the motorized scooter lawfully.

  • If the scooter has two wheels, the individual will need a two-wheel endorsement from the DMV on their license.
  • If the scooter has three wheels, the individual will need a three-wheel endorsement from the DMV on their license.

Individuals can also add a separate category of endorsement that includes both a two- and three-wheeled scooter if they pass certain knowledge and writing skills tests.

Individuals will need to complete a number of requirements in order to obtain their license, just like they do for a traditional driver’s license.

The first step will be completing a safety course that covers the rules of the road and how to operate the motorized scooter lawfully. After that, individuals will have to complete a knowledge and writing skills test within 180 days of finishing the training course.

After a person obtains their license to operate a motorized scooter, they can operate the scooter anywhere the state of Washington allows the person to do so.

If you wish to obtain a motorized scooter license endorsement in Washington, particularly in the Seattle area, you can find locations for DMV offices at this link. We encourage you to call the DMV office closest to you and make sure that they offer the knowledge and skills tests that you require for this particular type of license.

What Happens After a Motorized Scooter Accident

If you are involved in an accident with another vehicle while operating your motorized scooter, you need to treat this just like any other type of vehicle accident. Stay at the scene of the incident, call law enforcement officials, seek medical care, and obtain evidence. We encourage you to speak to a skilled scooter accident lawyer in Seattle who can help you obtain compensation if the other driver caused the incident. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, property damage expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering damages, and more. Our Seattle injury attorneys can help you recover the damages that you deserve, and focus on healing.